These data were collected as part of an international educational project. Schools participated voluntarily and were not part of a representative sample of the school population.
The survey was answered by 33,620 elementary and secondary students across Canada during the 2006/2007 school year. The elementary category includes grades 4 to 8 (secondary 2 in Quebec) and the secondary category includes grades 9 to 12 (secondary 3 to 5 in Quebec).
Two questionnaires were used, one for elementary and the other for secondary students. Each questionnaire contains some questions that are specific to elementary or secondary students only.
Note that percentages may not add to 100 due to rounding.
- Participation in Census at School, by age
- Number of people in your household
- What language do you most often speak at home?
- Average height, by age
- Average arm span, by age
- Average length of forearm, by age
- Average wrist circumference, by age
- Average length of hand, by age
- Average length of foot, by age
- Average ratio of certain body measurements, by age
- What colour are your eyes?
- Do you have allergies?
- Right-handed, left-handed or ambidextrous?
- Average reaction time of elementary students
- Average reaction time of secondary students
- What do you usually eat for breakfast?
- How many cigarettes a week do you usually smoke?
- Average number of hours per day spent doing certain activities
- Average number of hours per week spent doing certain activities
- How much pressure do you feel because of schoolwork?
- What is your favourite physical activity?
- Have you done anything to control your weight in the past year?
- How many days last week did you do an intense physical activity?
- How do you usually travel to school?
- How long does it usually take you to travel to school?
- What is your favourite subject?
- How many times have you been bullied at school in the last month?
- What gadgets do you have?
- Which of the following pets do you have?
- Which method do you use most often to communicate with friends?
- If you had $1,000 to donate to charity, what type of organization would you choose?
- What is the most important issue facing young Canadians today?
- Who do you look up to?